1. Collect all small pieces of paper and place them in a pile.
2. Collect all large pieces of paper and place them in a pile.
3. Place all items that you frequently use on one side of your desk.
4. Place all items that you don't often use in a drawer or other area that is rarely used.
5. Wipe areas clean once items are removed.
6. Sort documents that were in piles. File, place in binder, or post.
7. Throw or give away things you no longer need, want or use.
If you don't have any organizers, be sure to find something to place small items in such as: pens, paper clips, etc. If you don't have a bin, file drawer, or something to sort miscellaneous items, place in corner of desk until you are able to get one or place underneath desk in bag, box or some other useful item that can temporarily hold your stuff. Make a note to yourself to get something to hold your miscellaneous items as soon as possible so that you aren't starting to collect clutter.
Check out more articles on this site on keeping your office area tidy!
Nicholl McGuire also maintains other blogs: When Mothers Cry, Work Place Problems, Things to Do When Bored, and Laboring to Love an Abusive Mate.